AVALON 2018: Danube Symphony - Cruise Only Westbound (WVP0)
6 days from Vienna to Passau
Your European river cruise adventure begins in romantic and exciting Vienna, the capital of Austria, and ends in Passau, Germany, the 'City of Three Rivers' because of its unique location where the Inn, Ilz, and Danube rivers converge.Known as the 'City of Music,' Vienna inspired the creative genius of Beethoven, Mozart, and Strauss. Join your Local Guide for a tour of the city that offers the lavish Hofburg Palace complex with its Vienna Boys' Choir and dazzling Lipizzaner horses, the neo-renaissance Vienna Opera House, and much more! In your free time, stroll along pedestrian Karntnerstrasse with its many shops, or try a piece of Apfelstrudel in an elegant Viennese cafe.Cruise along the Danube River to Durnstein, located in the heart of the Wachau Valley and famous for its baroque Stiftskirche, a church from the early 1700s, and one of the most beautiful of its kind because of its luminous blue facade. In Melk, visit Austria's majestic Benedictine Abbey, one of Europe's largest monasteries, and taste some of the region's renowned wines. In Grein, visit the oldest theater in Austria that still gives regular performances. Explore Passau, the 'City of Three Rivers,' with its narrow cobblestone streets lined with beautiful Patrician houses and dominated by St. Stephen's Cathedral, a masterpiece of Italian baroque architecture. A fitting last stop to end this delightful Danube River cruise!
Call (520) 445-6812 for more information or to book today! Mention code 13253602
- Tour Operator
- 6 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Vienna||Welcome to Vienna, known as the 'City of Music' and a place that inspired the creative genius of Mozart, Beethoven, and Strauss. This afternoon, board your river cruise vessel and meet your crew at an evening welcome reception. (D) NOTE:Guests must be on board ship by 5 pm.|
|Day 2||Vienna||Once the center of the mighty Habsburg Empire, Austria's magical capital on the blue Danube is a showcase of gilded architecture. This is home to the lavish Hofburg Imperial Palace complex with its Vienna Boys' Choir and dazzling Lipizzaner stallions; the neo-renaissance Vienna Opera House; and awe-inspiring St. Stephen's Cathedral-plus, countless other sights your Local Guide will show you during an included CITY SIGHTSEEING TOUR. Stroll through the delightful pedestrian Karntnerstrasse, and be sure to take a break and enjoy a piece of decadent Sachertorte or Apfelstrudel in one of the classic Viennese coffee houses, historic institutions that helped shape Viennese culture! An optional concert is available tonight. (B,L,D)|
|Day 3||Melk||Durnstein, known for the magnificent baroque Stiftskirche with its blue facade, lies right in the heart of the Wachau wine region. Above town are the ruins of the castle where England's King Richard the Lionheart was imprisoned in 1192. A Local Guide will tell you the tale during your GUIDED WALK. Those seeking some sporting activity might like to climb up the steep hill to the castle ruins for spectacular views of the town and river. Alternatively, you may just want to stroll through the narrow streets on your own. Then, cruise through the beautiful Wachau Valley to reach Melk after lunch and visit the magnificent 11th-century BENEDICTINE ABBEY. Melk's abbey towers over the town and is one of Europe's largest. It houses an ornate library with over 80,000 printed books and 2,000 manuscripts. Words cannot describe the splendor of its church with its frescoed ceilings, stunning high altar, marble statues, and 210-foot-high cupola. This evening, you'll be able to sample some of the region's FAMOUS WINES. (B,L,D)|
|Day 4||Linz||This morning, arrive in the attractive country resort of Grein, which is nestled at the foot of a bluff in the shadow of its castle. Take an included GUIDED WALK through the town and visit its unique historical THEATER, the oldest in Austria still holding regular performances. A behind-the-scenes peek to learn about some of the curiosities of this rococo-style, 167-seat theater will certainly tell you much about life as it was-and as it now is in this small town. Or, you may prefer to join one of a variety of optional excursions today. Sail to Linz where you dock overnight. (B,L,D)|
|Day 5||Passau||Today, enjoy a relaxing morning of sailing. This afternoon, arrive in Passau, located at the confluence of the Rivers Inn, Ilz, and Danube. This is a city of graceful arcades and cobblestone streets lined with beautiful patrician houses and dominated by St. Stephen's Cathedral, a masterpiece of Italian baroque architecture. Join a Local Guide for a GUIDED WALK through this charming town, and find out much more about the 'City of Three Rivers.' (B,L,D)|
|Day 6||Passau||Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning. (B)|
- US$ Price Details
Port charges: $120Gratuities to Local Guides & Excursion Drivers are included.Please call for single accommodation price. Triples not available.Extra nights per person in Vienna:in single room $225, in twin room from $125 to $135Prices shown above include cruise in Category E in a deluxe outside stateroom on Indigo Deck.To upgrade to a higher category, add per person:Category / Decks / PriceD / Indigo Deck / $142B / Sapphire Deck / $821A / Sapphire Deck / $856P / Royal Deck / $928Avalon Suite / Royal Deck / $1,428NOTE:
- Departure July 17 is offered as an exclusive Culinary Cruise, including special lectures and tastings at no additional cost. Enter the food-lover's paradise of Europe. At a special dinner, your chef will dazzle you with regional specialties and food preparation tips. During lectures and cooking demonstrations, you will learn more about European culinary traditions!
Travel Terms & Conditions
The purchase of any travel services offered by Avalon Waterways, constitutes a contractual arrangement between you (the Traveler) and Avalon Waterways, and represents your acceptance of the Terms & Conditions. Please ensure that you read carefully and understand the Terms & Conditions prior to booking. These Terms & Conditions cover Deposit & Final Payment information, Air-Inclusive Deposits & Final Payment, Revisions & Revision Fees, Air Arrangements, Participation, Travelers Who Need Special Assistance, Young Travelers, Smoking, Price Policy, Visas and Passports, Hotels & Accommodations, Baggage Allowance, Travel Documents, Not Included in the Land Price, Refunds, Service Inquires After the Vacation, Holidays, Safety, Photos & Pictures, Optional Excursions, and Responsibility.
- Vacation departures, itineraries and prices are subject to change.
- A non-refundable, non-transferable deposit is required for Avalon Waterways to reserve space for you. View Terms & Conditions for limited exceptions.
- The following charges are not included in the land/cruise vacation price unless otherwise noted: airfare to and from the start of your vacation; intra-vacation air, unless specified in the itinerary; airline baggage fees including checked and/or excess baggage fees; Federal inspection fees for the Federal U.S. Customs and Immigrations; International Air Transportation tax; agricultural tax; other per person taxes imposed by government entities; airport taxes and fees, including the September 11th Security fee up to $11.20 per person, passenger facility charges up to $18 per person, Federal domestic flight segment fees up to $4.10 per segment, and U.S. and international arrival and departure and other government-imposed added by the airline and applicable at time of booking; port taxes; passports; visas and vaccinations; tips to your Cruise Director, Local Host, driver, Local Guides, and/or ship's crew; gratuities on ferries, trains, and cruise ships; laundry; telephone; minibar; alcohol, beverages, and food outside of the contracted Avalon menu as presented at a hotel or restaurant or onboard your vessel (these extra items will be billed to you before leaving the hotel, ship, or restaurant); airport transfers on non-qualifying flights; optional excursions; additional activities and excursions purchased online; porterage at airports and train stations; Travel Protection; and all other items of a personal nature.
- Additional airline-imposed fees for seat assignments may apply and are not included in your total package cost. Please refer to carrier websites for seat assignment policies and applicable pricing.
Booking your Vacation with Air
Our volume buying power saves you money. We may be able to provide you with flight arrangements from your gateway city. Avalon Waterways offers 2 air options: Flex Air and Instant Purchase Air. Early Airfare Price Guarantee locks in a price that is guaranteed not to increase. Air pricing and schedules are available approximately 330 days prior to last travel date in the itinerary. At that time the best air price will be utilized and a new invoice with the air cost and confirmed schedule will be sent. The identity of the carrier, which may include the carrier?s codeshare partner, will be assigned and disclosed at this time. If the guaranteed price is the lowest, the schedule with the lowest fare per contracted classes of service will be booked. Any voluntary change to the confirmed flights negates the guaranteed price and is subject to air pricing at the time of the change.
Guaranteed air-inclusive prices - air is only available to passengers traveling from the United States and only available when booked in conjunction with a land vacation. An additional non-refundable air deposit of $300 per person is required for Flex Air booked in conjunction with any land vacation (i.e. air-inclusive vacation). Air can only be booked by Avalon in conjunction with a vacation package. Instant Purchase Air requires air payment in full at time of booking (i.e. air-inclusive vacation) plus a non-refundable per person service fee of $30 (North/Central America), $50 (Europe/Middle East) or $80 (all other international destinations). Once booked, Instant Purchase Air is non-refundable, and non-changeable. Some vacations may only offer one Air type option. However, once your airfare is confirmed and Avalon has received your full air and land deposit, your air-inclusive vacation price is guaranteed.
Air-Inclusive Vacations - Applicable Taxes & Fees
Air-inclusive vacations include government-imposed taxes and fees applicable at the time of booking and will be shown as a Total Amount. Additional airline fees for baggage may apply. At the time of booking your air-inclusive vacation online, carrier Websites will be provided to check baggage fees, or you can visit www.iflybags.com for up-to-date baggage pricing/restrictions. For return travel from some countries, international travelers are required to pay entry and/or exit fees at the airport. These fees will be collected by the local government and are payable by the traveler at time of travel. Your confirmation booking information will contain information about these fees.